Where schools choose to deliver some or all of the Bronze, Silver or Gold Training Frameworks we have provided a number of videos, downloads and worksheets.
Download the DofE The expedition section process leaflet that explains the whole process
First Aid and Emergency Procedures
- A video from SJA on how to use your First Aid kit
- Action in an emergency – resuscitation, airway, breathing and circulation.
- Videos on hypothermia, Heatstroke and Heat Exhaustion
- A video from SJA on wounds and bleeding.
- A video from SJA on shock.
- Videos on blisters, cuts, abrasions, minor burns and scalds, headaches, insect bites, sunburn, splinters.
- The recognition of more serious conditions such as sprains, strains, dislocations and broken limbs.
- Watch a video on knowing what to do in the case of an accident or emergency.
- Summoning help – what people need to know, telephoning for help, written message.
- Getting help, self-help and waiting for help to arrive, keeping safe and warm, helping people to find you.
An awareness of Risk and Health and Safety issues.
- Expedition fitness.
- Telling people where you are going.
- A fun video to promote discussion on identifying and avoiding hazards
- Keeping together.
- Weather forecasts – knowing how, where and when to obtain weather forecasts, relating weather forecasts to observed conditions, looking for signs which will indicate changes in the weather.
- Download the Expedition Behaviour article from the DofE magazine
Preparatory map skills
- Download the Map Reading Made Easy leaflet, this is a good revisions booklet for silver and gold groups.
- Download the Navigation Skills article from the DofE magazine
- A video from OS on Contour Lines
- A video from OS on Map Symbols
- A video from OS on Grid References
Practical Map Skills
- A video from Mountaineering Ireland on Setting the Map
- A video from Mountaineering Ireland on Distance, Timing and Pacing
- A video from OS on Compass Bearings
- A video from Mountaineering Ireland on Taking and Using Bearings
Campcraft, equipment and hygiene
- Download the DofE Expedition Kit Guide
- Download the DofE article on Boots or watch 2 videos on Choosing your boots and Which Boots?
- Download the DofE article on Boots and Feet
- A video from GoOutdoors on choosing your expedition kit and choosing the right Waterproof Jacket
- Three videos on Packing your Rucksack and Packing your Rucksack and Packing your Rucksack
- A video on how to Adjust your Rucksack
- A video from Mountain Warehouse on how to fit a rucksack
- Download the Environmental Impact of expeditions article from the DofE magazine
- Lyme Disease / Ticks
Food and Cooking
- Download the DofE article on the Stove safety instructions
- Download the DofE article on Menu article and their article on Healthy Eating on Expeditions
- Download our E3 Bronze Menu Planner
- Download our E3 Silver Menu Planner
- Download our E3 Gold Menu Planner
Countryside and Highway Codes
- Watch a Countryside Code video
- Download the DofE article on the Environment
- Download the DofE article on Sustainable Expeditions
- Link to the Highway Code